Vinegar may be one of the most versatile (and under-appreciated!) products in your home. Here’s just a few uses…
Remove odor on fabric – you know, that pesky odor retention in fabric that just doesn’t come out in the wash?
- Soak with The Laundress Scented Vinegar before washing. (For cottons/synthetic materials soak for at least an hour, woolens/synthetics 30 min max.) Soak items in a basin with water – use hot water when applicable.
- Run a load of laundry on the normal wash cycle with one cup vinegar. Follow with a regular wash cycle with detergent.
- Apply directly on the underarm or odor area before washing
**do not soak vinegar on silk, acetate, and rayon
Non Toxic Kitchen Cleaning – De-odorize the air, refrigerator, microwave and more!
- Get rid of cooking smells by simmering a small pot of 1/2 cup vinegar and water. Keep a small bowl of vinegar on the counter to absorb odor.
- Put 1 cup vinegar in a glass in the refrigerator for two days to remove odor – or keep refreshing if you have a constant problem.
- Use ¼ cup vinegar and 1 cup water bring to a boil and let sit.
- Add 1/2 cup vinegar to the rinse cycle or add 1 cups vinegar with dish detergent and run a full cycle to rinse spotty glassware.
Remove and inhibit bacteria, mold and yeast growth to acceptable levels
- Cutting Boards – Apply vinegar directly on cutting boards at the end of the evening and do not rinse.
- Countertops – Spray kitchen countertops and wipe down (this will also keep ants and bugs away).
Natural drain cleaner for tubs, sinks and taps – Clean, deodorize and unclog drains!
- Mix 1 cup baking soda (even better is with 1/4 cup The Laundress All-Purpose Bleach Alternative!) and 1 cup boiling vinegar. Pour down drain and let sit for 5 minutes then run hot water down the drain.
*This is also great in half proportion for the garbage disposal
- Apply vinegar directly to the area with a cloth or sponge.
*We recommend mixing vinegar with The Laundress All-Purpose Bleach Alternative as a great way to scrub/clean tubs, tiles, toilets and stained porcelain. (Using The Laundress Scrub Brush, of course!)
- Deodorize with 1 cup vinegar, let sit for at least a half hour and then flush.
Clean Blinds and Walls
- Mix equal parts water and vinegar in a pail and use a sponge or The Laundress Lint Free Cleaning Cloths to wipe down walls and blinds.
Clean Pergo “Wood” Floors
- Pergo floors should be cleaned with Vinegar vs. any other products floor cleaners, all-purpose cleaners, and wax as they leave a film. Use 1/4 cup vinegar with 1 gallon water to mop.
Smelly Pet or Skunk Spray
Rinse dog with water. Mix 1 cup vinegar with 2 gallons of water and saturate the dogs coat with solution. Dry off without rinsing.