Protect Your Investments! Don’t let the dry cleaners ruin your fine cashmere and woolens – when you invest in quality winter wear, why pay the dry cleaners to shorten the lifespan of that investment?
*Our rule of thumb for blended fabric is to wash according to the highest percentage. i.e. if your sweater is 70% cashmere and 30% silk, wash with Wool & Cashmere and follow the appropriate washing recipe.
- De-pill first if the item has heaving pilling. Brush the pilled areas with The Laundress Sweater Stone and shake out.
- Examine for stains: pre-treat with The Laundress Stain Solution or The Laundress Wash & Stain Bar. Always treat stains first and pre-soak for most effective removal
- To remove dirt, grease, grime (i.e. ring around the collar) treat with our Wash & Stain Bar. Wet bar and work into the fabric.
- To remove juice, wine, coffee, pen, chocolate use our Stain Solution and Stain Brush.
- To remove odors: pre-wash or pre-soak with The Laundress Scented Vinegar. Apply vinegar directly on odor areas and work stain solution into the fabric. Soak well.
- Turn your clothing inside out. This prevents abrasion and lengthens the life of colorant dyes.
- Do not mix colors, wash with like colors only.
- Turn item inside out to wash the fabric where stains and odors buildup on the inside closest to your body and under arms.
- Prepare a “bath” –basin of cool/tepid water with 2 capfuls of The Laundress Wool and Cashmere Shampoo.
- Submerge item(s) in bath using your hands to agitate the water and detergent.
- Soak for at least ½ hour.* It is harmless to leave soaking for longer unless you are washing silk.
- Rinse well – running room temperature water until soapy water is gone.
- Do not wring; press the water out of the item instead.
*DO NOT PANIC if you see color in the water. This is normal and it is simply the yarn dye releasing color. You will not notice any loss of color at the end.
- Change machine setting to woolens/delicate cycle. Make sure water temperature is cold. Add the appropriate amount of Wool & Cashmere Shampoo to the machine.
- Turn item inside out and place in The Laundress Mesh Bag and wash. Start cycle.
- Remove from the washer promptly to reduce creasing. Do not put in the dryer!
- To dry – place item on top of a towel* making sure the towel and item is flat and in its original shape, then roll up in the towel (like a rolling pin) to remove excess water.
- To finish drying – lay item flat in its natural shape on a drying rack or towel. Hang, if item will not stretch or deform.
- When dry – finish removing any extra pills as noted above.
- We like to steam our wool/cashmere for the perfect finish. (this is not necessary, however).
*To speed up the drying process, use more than one towel and repeat several times.
Tips and Tricks:
- When storing for the season,* spray with The Laundress Wool & Cashmere Spray and place in a breathable cotton bag with a zip closure such as The Laundress All Purpose Storage Bag.
- Hand washing will lengthen the life of colored garments.
- Clean your washer monthly with The Laundress Machine Cleaner to protect fibers and fading from machine build up, lime scale and rust. Add (1/2 cup, 4 oz, 120 ml) to your machine dispenser and run a long load with hot water. Run a second load with just water and you’re ready to go!
*It is always a good idea to store with a natural bug repellent such as The Laundress Lavender Pouch Scented Squares.Read More