Silks & Delicates are a breeze to clean at home with our specially formulated Delicate Wash!
*Our rule of thumb for blended fabric is to wash according to the highest percentage. i.e. if your sweater is 70% cashmere and 30% silk, wash with our Wool & Cashmere Shampoo and follow the appropriate washing recipe.
- Examine for stains: pre-treat with The Laundress Stain Solution or The Laundress Wash & Stain Bar. Always treat stains first and pre-soak for most effective removal.
- To remove dirt, grease, grime (i.e. ring around the collar) treat with our Wash & Stain Bar. Wet bar and work into the fabric.
- To remove juice, wine, coffee, pen, chocolate use our Stain Solution and Stain Brush.
- To remove odors: pre-wash or pre-soak with The Laundress Scented Vinegar. Apply vinegar directly on odor areas and work stain solution into the fabric. Soak well.
- Turn your clothing inside out. This prevents abrasion and lengthens the life of colorant dyes.
- Do not mix colors, wash with like colors only.
- To wash – submerge item(s) in a cool water bath with 2 capfuls of The Laundress Delicate Wash.
- Use your hands to agitate the water and detergent.
- Soak for ½ hour (do not soak silk for longer).*
- Rinse well – running room temperature water until soapy water is gone.
- Do not wring; press the water out of the item instead.
*DO NOT PANIC if you see color in the water. This is normal and it is simply the yarn dye releasing color. You will not notice any loss of color at the end.
- Change machine setting to delicate cycle and add the appropriate amount of Delicate Wash in the machine.
- Turn item inside out and place in The Laundress Mesh Bag and wash.
- Remove from the washer promptly to reduce creasing. Do not put in the dryer!
- Lay item flat on a drying rack, a towel, or hang to dry.
- Some items may need to be steamed after washing.
Tips and Tricks:
- Hand washing will lengthen the life of colored garments.
- Clean your washer monthly with The Laundress Machine Cleaner to protect fibers and fading from machine build up, lime scale and rust. Add (1/2 cup, 4 oz, 120 ml) to your machine dispenser and run a long load with hot water. Run a second load with just water and you’re ready to go!
For more recipes, visit our other recipes on the left-hand menu and click on “Can I Be Washed” for our fabric washing guide.
*To view Gwen’s step-by-step directions for washing silk scarves – click here.Read More